Wednesday 27 July 2011

The Prison Gate

The final gate was also known as the gate of the guard. At the end of the celebrations following the completion of the walls of Jerusalem, Nehemiah and the people finished their tour of the walls coming together at this gate, so it is fitting that we finish our study at this same gate.

Nehemiah 12:39-40

  1. And from above the gate of Ephraim, and above the old gate, and above the fish gate, and the tower of Hananeel, and the tower of Meah, even unto the sheep gate: and they stood still in the prison gate.
  2. So stood the two companies of them that gave thanks in the house of God, and I, and the half of the rulers with me:

For us the question is, how do you judge what should enter into your life? Are you going to let the world rule, or will God rule? It is vital for us to guard the gates of our lives, but it is pointless if the wrong judges are on the door.
In Psalm 26 we have an excellent example of how God can be the judge of the gates of our lives.

Psalms 26:1-2

  1. Judge me, O LORD; for I have walked in mine integrity: I have trusted also in the LORD; therefore I shall not slide.
  2. Examine me, O LORD, and prove me; try my reins and my heart.

Before you come to know the Lord you are trapped as a prisoner to sin with no choice but to run by the judgement of the World. As a believer you should now be a prisoner of Christ. Sadly many of us still live lives as believers, but still prisoners to sin. God paid the price and he owns us. Why then do we continue to do the bidding of someone who is no-longer our master!

This is where we need to come to with regard to Jesus, indeed it what we have done in coming to him. I often feel that people take salvation to lightly. It is easy to say, I will accept the free gift of eternal life from God. It is quite another thing to say, I will be your servant Lord, from this day until the day I die and on into eternity!
All the gates come back to one key thing. Are you ready to let God rule every part of your life.

Psalms 37:5-7

  1. Commit thy way unto the LORD; trust also in him; and he shall bring it to pass.
  2. And he shall bring forth thy righteousness as the light, and thy judgment as the noonday.
  3. Rest in the LORD, and wait patiently for him: fret not thyself because of him who prospereth in his way, because of the man who bringeth wicked devices to pass.

No comments: