Wednesday 11 July 2012

Issue 25 - Day 3


2 Timothy 1

2 Timothy 1:13-14
13)  Hold fast the form of sound words, which thou hast heard of me, in faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
14)  That good thing which was committed unto thee keep by the Holy Ghost which dwelleth in us.

What is it that has been committed to us? What is it that we must keep by the Holy Ghost? Speaking of Timothy, it is written for us a few verses earlier. Paul laid hands on Timothy and prayed for him. God gave Timothy a gift. For Timothy that gift was an extraordinary ability to communicate sound teaching. All pastors need this gift, and not all have it, but Timothy did, and Paul warned him to hold on to it, to exercise it, and not let it go. What is your gift? What has God given you? It could be anything from the gift of hospitality to the gift of administration, from the gift of teaching to the gift of music. All gifts given by God must be used or they will go. When I was growing up I learned to play the cello. I was getting close to grade eight. I haven’t touched a cello in years, and although I can still play one if called upon I am no where near as good as I was. I do still use the musical ability I learned on other instruments, but the ability to make a cello sing is gone. Do not let spiritual gifts go the same way. Use them.

Timothy’s particular gift was in teaching. He had learned from Paul, and now was teaching others. We are all teaching others at the very least by our actions, either good or bad. However, are you holding on to sound teaching and passing it on? Who can you look to and say, look at how they are teaching others. I taught them that. This is not pride, but seeing God’s word fulfilled in our lives. Learn and teach, the cycle is endless. But always hang on to the best teaching, test every word against scripture, and pass it on.

No comments: