Thursday 20 June 2013

Ayin (ng - as in Sing, or G)

Psalms 119:121-128

121)  Grant me this, that thou leave me not to mine oppressors, for I have done judgment and justice.
122)  Good is assured in thee for thy servant: let not the proud oppress me.
123)  Grit fils my eyes as they fail for thy salvation, and for the word of thy righteousness.
124)  Great is thy mercy, which is deal unto thy servant, and teach me thy statutes.
125)  Give your servant understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.
126)  Gird yourself to action now LORD: for they have made void thy law.
127)  Golden are thy testimonies, indeed I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
128)  Gravely I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

Meaning of Ayin

The word Ayin means to see, and by extension, to know, understand, and obey.

Matthew 6:22-23
22)  The light of the body is the eye: if therefore thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light.
23)  But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If therefore the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!

The two arms of the letter are said to represent the evil eye and the good eye feeding their input back down to the brain.

Not only is there the problem of our eyes looking to evil or good, there is also the fact that God encourages us to use our spiritual eyes.

1 Corinthians 2:14
14)  But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.

You may think that Google goggles enhance what you see, but how much better to see as God sees.

1 Samuel 16:7
7)  But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Key phrase

The key phrase in this stanza has to be, “I am thy servant”. It occurs three times here. Thinking of where David would have been as he wrote this, he had by then become king. He says in verse 121 that he has been the judge and dispenser of justice, yet he is finding it tough. He knows that God is the judge of all men, and his justice is over all.

We need that same realisation that we are his servants.

The Plea

Psalms 119:121-125
121)  I have done judgment and justice: leave me not to mine oppressors.
122)  Be surety for thy servant for good: let not the proud oppress me.
123)  Mine eyes fail for thy salvation, and for the word of thy righteousness.
124)  Deal with thy servant according unto thy mercy, and teach me thy statutes.
125)  I am thy servant; give me understanding, that I may know thy testimonies.

He has a number of requests of the Lord.

  1. Don’t leave me to my enemies.
  2. Let me stand up against the proud.
  3. Open my eyes to your word.
  4. Show me mercy.
  5. Teach me.
  6. Give me understanding, and knowledge.

You can see that thread of Ayin, the eye. Open my eyes, Give me understanding. And obedience is part of being a servant.

Psalms 119:18
18)  Open thou mine eyes, that I may behold wondrous things out of thy law.

Daniel was one who definitely served God first. Of him it was said:

Daniel 5:14
14)  I have even heard of thee, that the spirit of the gods is in thee, and that light and understanding and excellent wisdom is found in thee.



Golden time

Psalm 119:127-128
127)  Therefore I love thy commandments above gold; yea, above fine gold.
128)  Therefore I esteem all thy precepts concerning all things to be right; and I hate every false way.

The summary of David’s feelings, the response to having your eyes opened can only be amazement at the wonder of God. Esteemed more than Gold, and esteemed concerning all things.

Proverbs 8:8-11
8)  All the words of my mouth are in righteousness; there is nothing froward or perverse in them.
9)  They are all plain to him that understandeth, and right to them that find knowledge.
10)  Receive my instruction, and not silver; and knowledge rather than choice gold.
11)  For wisdom is better than rubies; and all the things that may be desired are not to be compared to it.

When it comes to esteeming God, nothing comes close to realising how amazing he truly is. One day we will see that glory revealed, and nothing will compare.

Revelation 1:12-18
12)  And I turned to see the voice that spake with me. And being turned, I saw seven golden candlesticks;
13)  And in the midst of the seven candlesticks one like unto the Son of man, clothed with a garment down to the foot, and girt about the paps with a golden girdle.
14)  His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;
15)  And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
16)  And he had in his right hand seven stars: and out of his mouth went a sharp twoedged sword: and his countenance was as the sun shineth in his strength.
17)  And when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me, Fear not; I am the first and the last:
18)  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

This is a test comment

Anonymous said...

Here is another test