Monday 23 April 2012

Issue 14 - Day 1


Galatians 5

Galatians 5:7-10
7)  Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth?
8)  This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you.
9)  A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump.
10)  I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be.

In the context of this passage Paul is rightly concerned because people had crept into the Galatian church and led them astray with false teaching. Quite rightly he warned against such people. We do need to be on our guard as any little bit of false teaching is sufficient to lead us away from God. Just like the effect yeast has on a lump of dough. Equally, one person in the church ignoring the word of God has the potential to bring the whole thing crashing down. So pray for one another, and be on your guard.

However, from the point of view of the individual, why think that God is okay with your actions when you are not reading his word and praying. We did indeed start well, yet many of us seem to be in a marathon and have slowed to a walk in the middle of the race! We need to be on guard personally. Do not let anything into your life that will distract you from following God’s word and doing his will. It may seem a small thing, like a particular book, TV series, group of friends, or similar. Yet, as soon as that thing takes more of your time, resources and focus than God, you have been leavened as badly as the Galatian church.

Lord, create in me a pure heart. renew a right spirit in me. Purge me from all sin, and set me on the straight path. Lord I want to follow you, yet I so often get distracted by the smallest things. Keep me strong I pray, and when I stray, let me see the problem and deal with it swiftly.

No comments: