Tuesday 8 May 2012

Issue 16 - Day 2


1 Corinthians 6

1 Corinthians 6:18-20
18)  Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
19)  What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?
20)  For ye are bought with a price: therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit, which are God's.

The word fornication, and its sister adultery are used the bible in two ways. Firstly in the literal sense of sex outside of marriage, or with the wrong person when married; and secondly in the spiritual sense to denote a Christian, or Jew who is worshiping another God. In the context of these verses we should widen this to sins against our physical body (the temple of the holy spirit), and sins against our spiritual body (the church, the body of Christ). Further, it is clear that any sin against your physical body is also a sin against your spiritual body.

Are you sinning in this way? I hope not, but if so then please repent immediately. In the wider sense, is what you are doing today glorifying God? If not then why not? We are told to do all things to the glory of God (Col 3:17). We are instructed to do all things by faith in him (Heb 10:38). And we are reminded that whatsoever is not of faith is not of Christ, and therefore sin (Rom 14:23). If you are not glorifying God in your words and deeds then it is sin, and you need to change. Wow, that is a high standard!

Lord, I know I am not perfect, and I know I do not serve you as I ought, but help me Lord I pray to glorify you in word and deed. And if there be anything in me that is not of you, help me to remove it from my life so that I can serve you 100%.

No comments: