Wednesday 30 May 2012

Issue 19 - Day 3


2 Corinthians 12

2 Corinthians 12:8-10
8)  For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.
9)  And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
10)  Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ's sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong.

Strong men and women do not need help. The weak need all the help they can get. Paradoxically, the stronger you are, the less you are willing to ask for help, and when you can no longer manage on your own, still you try. The weak, on the other hand, know they cannot do it and so ask for help at the start. The truth is that in comparison to God we are all as feeble as mice, it is just that most of the time we don’t realise it. Therefore it is best when we realise we need his help. This only happens when we are weak. How many people do you know who say they do not need God, they as fine on their own, have no problems, and Christians are just needy people seeking an emotional crutch? They are deluding themselves. We all need help, but we don’t all see it.

How many times have you prayed and had no answer? Paul prayed three times that this problem would leave him, and it wasn’t until the third time that he heard an answer, which was “No”. I believe God answered him even on the first time, but he did not listen to the reply. After so many years of seeing miracles and healing happen instantly Paul just didn’t expect a negative answer. He did not listen to God, but just assumed swift healing would follow. Does that sound familiar? Finally of course Paul listened and understood.
Seek God earnestly and listen for the answer. Recognise your weakness and expect God to give you the strength to do his will.

No comments: