Tuesday 12 June 2012

Issue 21 - Day 2


Romans 12

Romans 12:10-13
10)  Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour preferring one another;
11)  Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12)  Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13)  Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.

This whole chapter is focused on how we are to grow, and be transformed into the likeness of Christ, living together as the body of Christ. As we become more like him we are given gifts to benefit the body as a whole. Everyone is different, has different gifts, and each is as needed as the next. Here we get a full explanation of what is brotherly love. All too often this must be spelt out as in many families today we are sadly lacking in brotherly love toward our physical brothers.

What is brotherly love then, so that we can put it into practice? Firstly put others first, and secondly by being hard workers. True love will never stop, and is always busy trying to do whatever you can for those around you. These days we are consumed by the desire for “me” time. We must have the time and space to explore who we are. While we do need to get stuff done for ourselves the entire concept of “me” time is not biblical. The only “me” time in the bible is actually “God” time. It is time set aside for you to be with God. In 21 verses Paul speaks of many gifts, and many attitudes. Not one of them is self centred. They all look to God, or to the needs of others.

Lord, show me where my gifts are, so that I can better serve others. Lord, help me use those gifts at all times, putting others first. Lord give me more time, but let it be “you” time not “me” time. I do want my time to be yours, yet I so often keep it for me. It is all a gift from you anyway so please take it and use it.

No comments: