Thursday 14 June 2012

Issue 21 - Day 4


Romans 14

Romans 14:13-16
13)  Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.
14)  I know, and am persuaded by the Lord Jesus, that there is nothing unclean of itself: but to him that esteemeth any thing to be unclean, to him it is unclean.
15)  But if thy brother be grieved with thy meat, now walkest thou not charitably. Destroy not him with thy meat, for whom Christ died.
16)  Let not then your good be evil spoken of:

It is easy to take offence at the habits of our friends. Some people have a real problem with eating certain food, or drinking alcohol. Some have problems with watching certain films,reading certain books, or going to certain places. In many cases we need not ask if something is right or wrong, for that is self evident, but rather, does it offend my brother?

We recently had the mayoral elections here in London, and our polling station had moved to the local buddhist temple. What a dilemma! On the one hand, who cares what the building is used for. On that day it was a polling station, and nothing more. Even if it is a buddhist temple, I’m not going there to worship, so it does not matter. On the other hand, I am the pastor of the local baptist church. If I went to vote there I would definitely meet people I know in the community who may question why I am going there. In the same way as I know many muslims who have not allowed their children to come to birthday parties in our church hall, because it is a church. As it happens I didn’t go for other reasons, however it is a reminder that people see us, and see representatives of the church. What are we saying by our actions? We may be happy to do all sorts of things that are not sin yet those who see us may think them not right, therefore we should avoid these things.

No comments: