Monday 26 March 2012

Issue 10 - Day 1


Philemon

Philemon 1:10-11, 16-17
10)  I beseech thee for my son Onesimus, whom I have begotten in my bonds:
11)  Which in time past was to thee unprofitable, but now profitable to thee and to me:

16)  Not now as a servant, but above a servant, a brother beloved, specially to me, but how much more unto thee, both in the flesh, and in the Lord?
17)  If thou count me therefore a partner, receive him as myself.

If we have one fault, and we know we have many, it is that having once been hurt by someone, or judged someone to be a problem we never change our minds. I remember a guy named Danny, from when I was seven years old. He was the village problem, roaring around on his motorbike, and later in fast cars. He will never amount to anything, I judged. It came as a shock at first to find he is now pastor of a church. times change and so do people, especially when God is at work in their lives. It is good to be wise, and not let history repeat, but at the same time God changes lives and we need to be aware of that.

How are we to treat problem people who come to know the Lord? We are to see them as a brother beloved. This is tough. If you have a brother or sister it does not matter how lazy, annoying, loud, or whatever they are, they are your brother, and you will never turn them away. I am unfortunately talking in the ideal world here because sadly our families are disintegrating here in the UK and often brothers or sisters are thrown out of the family, but even more so then do these verses apply.

Pray that God will give you the heart to love unconditionally, and the mind to see what is in the heart of those around you.

No comments: