Monday 12 March 2012

Issue 8 - Day 1

Romans 7


Romans 7:19-21

  1. For the good that I would I do not: but the evil which I would not, that I do.
  2. Now if I do that I would not, it is no more I that do it, but sin that dwelleth in me.
  3. I find then a law, that, when I would do good, evil is present with me.

At times, the harder we try to do the right thing, the more we mess up. New Year's resolutions are the worst. By January 6th the papers are full of articles reminding us how we said we would be up every morning jogging, and would definitely stick to the diet this time. They also point out the by this point the morning streets are once again empty and the fast food joints are full. We try to do good, yet our bodies rebel against us.

Spiritually we face the same battle. We know the things we ought to be doing, we know what the bible says, and yet we don't do it. We also know the things we are doing wrong. Most of the time we have no need to pray as David did, "Lord, reveal to me what needs to change." for we know what needs to change yet we do not change. Rightly Paul writes, "wretched man that I am!"

A man once tried to justify his actions with this statement: he said "I know what I believe, but that's different than what I had to do. I had to make a decision that had the least amount of consequences for the people involved." Sadly he had actually chosen the path of the greatest consequence. When faced with reality we often act other than the beliefs we hold so dear. This is because of the war described by Paul. Instead we must stick to what we know is right no matter the consequences, or God has given us the bible for nothing.

What is there in your life that you know is wrong? Ask God to help you defeat it. There is nothing impossible for God.

No comments: