Friday 16 March 2012

Issue 8 - Day 5

Romans 11


Romans 11:33-34

  1. O the depth of the riches both of the wisdom and knowledge of God! how unsearchable are his judgments, and his ways past finding out!
  2. For who hath known the mind of the Lord? or who hath been his counsellor?

There are many things in scripture that make us confused. There are even more things that happen and we don't understand why God permitted it, or even made it happen. This is one of those passages that explain other scripture, and yet Paul's conclusion is that seeking to understand God is a task beyond any of us. Having said that, it also says in scripture that we have been given the mind of Christ, and if you have the mind of Christ, how can you fail to understand it.

For some years we have had a book on programing on the shelves in the office where I work. I put it on my desk to read it, with the intention of taking some exams. However I was to busy with work and so the book sat there on my desk. One day I was struggling to solve a problem. My colleagues tried, I searched the web, but I could not find the solution. Maybe it is impossible I said, so we left the problem and moved on to other things. Some time later I read the book and in it found the answer I had been searching for. It had been on my desk all that time.

All to often we cannot understand God, or the bible because we are trying to understand it by the power of our own minds. This will not work, as even scripture tells us the things of God are spiritually discerned, and without the Holy Spirit to explain them, they even appear foolish. But we have the mind of Christ, and we can understand his word, by the power of the Holy Spirit. Pray today that God would reveal to you the meaning of his word.

No comments: