Saturday 10 March 2012

Issue 7 - Day 6

Romans 5


Romans 5:7-8

  1. For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
  2. But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.

What are you willing to do for someone else?

It is said that Cyrus, the founder of the Persian Empire, once had captured a prince and his family. The king asked the prisoner, "What will you give me if I release you?" "The half of my wealth," was his reply. "And if I release your children?" "Everything I possess." "And if I release your wife?" "Your Majesty, I will give myself." Cyrus was so moved by his devotion that he freed them all. As they returned home, the prince said to his wife, "Wasn't Cyrus a handsome man!" With a look of deep love for her husband, she said to him, "I didn't notice. I could only keep my eyes on you, the one who was willing to give himself for me."

Why is it that when all of us have had someone not only offer that sacrifice, but actually make the sacrifice for us many people do not notice, and keep looking to the sin that captured them. Even having seen and accepted that sacrifice we still fail to keep our eyes on Christ, the one who made that sacrifice. He paid the ultimate price before we were even born so that we could be set free.

This week, ask yourself, what can I practically do to demonstrate God's love to others? What do I need to set aside in order to keep my eyes fixed on Christ? or if you do not yet know the Lord, how can I come to experience that love and forgiveness myself.

No comments: