Thursday 9 February 2012

The Church of Sardis

The Church of Sardis

Revelation 3:1-6

Letter From


This is a pretty special from. The seven spirits of God are manifest on Earth as the Holy Spirit. Jesus, at his baptism received the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove, and so we know this is Jesus, aside from other reasons.

Ezekiel 36:26-27

  1. A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh.
  2. And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do them.

We are given the Holy Spirit for many purposes, but primarily, so that we may walk in the ways of God.

The problem

Sardis, historically had a problem, they were lazy. Spiritually they were in the same state. They just couldn't be bothered.

They had therefore two problems.

  • They were spiritually dead.
  • They were not watching for the return of Christ

They could have dealt with the spiritual deadness by walking in the ways of God, that is the spiritual ways, not just the physical.

1 Thessalonians 4:1-3

  1. Furthermore then we beseech you, brethren, and exhort you by the Lord Jesus, that as ye have received of us how ye ought to walk and to please God, so ye would abound more and more.
  2. For ye know what commandments we gave you by the Lord Jesus.
  3. For this is the will of God, even your sanctification, that ye should abstain from fornication:

No comments: