Thursday 2 February 2012

Issue 2 - Day 4

1 Thessalonians 5


1 Thessalonians 5:22-23

  1. Abstain from all appearance of evil.
  2. And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

We are called to be blameless. The Bible tells us that our soul is blameless. It is our souls that are saved, made new creations in Christ, and are now without sin. Our spirit is continually at war with the spirit of God, wanting our way, not his. However, it is our bodies that are seen by others. Are your bodies blameless?

Once a teacher found something missing in the classroom and questioned the class to find who took it. She looked around the class. “Well, I know it’s not you Johnny,” she said, “it’s probably you Andy. Was it?”.

We judge people by their past. Some people are always in trouble, and others often seem to be trouble makers even if they aren't. Some are thought to be blameless. Why? Because they are never seen to do anything that even looks a bit wrong. they are above reproach.

Is that how you are? When something happens can no-one imagine it being your fault? The Law said, do not do wrong. Paul says that even appearing to do wrong is wrong. Sanctification means not even thinking about it, as Jesus taught in the beatitudes. God can see your thoughts, so his view of holiness is even higher. Lord protect my thoughts. I know I am not perfect, but I pray, perfect me by the renewing of my mind.

No comments: