Tuesday 7 February 2012

Issue 3 - Day 2

1 Corinthians 2


1 Corinthians 2:12

  1. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.

Why do people not understand the bible? At times we find some passages difficult to understand, or struggle for the interpretation of a key verse. But non-believers can read the whole bible cover to cover and not see the evident power of God! Equally, we logically conclude that it is impossible for any human to understand an infinite God, but his own Word says we can.

Anyone who speaks two or more languages fluently will know what I experienced living in Italy for a while. At first I didn’t even understand the words, then as I improved in speaking Italian, I still didn't understand phrases. they just didn’t work in English. It wasn't until I began to absorb the culture, and understand where the people were coming from, until I absorbed the Italian spirit, that I came to understanding. My Italian is still pretty bad, though I get by with the family, and preaching the odd sermon. However the important thing is I understand.

No-one can truly understand the bible without the Spirit of God in them. Even then, many times we still do not get it, as we have not let his Spirit take control of every corner of our lives. The bible itself teaches every word of the bible is full of meaning, and relevance for us. Pray that God will teach you by his Spirit. As you read his Word, be expectant to hear his voice. As you let the Spirit of God fully guide every part of your life he will reveal to you the hidden mysteries of his Word.

No comments: