Friday 17 February 2012

Issue 4 - Day 5

1 Corinthians 12


1 Corinthians 12:15-17

  1. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
  2. And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?
  3. If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

What is your role as part of the body of Christ? We are talking local church here. It would be a rather disjointed body with a nose in London, an ear in Paris, and an eye in Rome! We function together in the local body of Christ. But are you playing your part, or are you causing the church to limp?

I sometimes wake in the morning to find I have been lying on my arms. I just can't feel them, and they won't move. At worst I may be stuck there a few minutes trying to roll over. Then strikes problem number two, until they wake up I can't turn off the alarm! On other occasions one arm is to busy massaging life back into the other that it can't do anything else. Many times the church is like this. The arms are asleep, and the rest of the body struggles to make up for this, but we still can't turn off the alarm. If you are an eye and refuse to do what God has for you then the whole body will walk into a wall.

Three challenges today. Firstly, pray that God would show you your role in the church. Secondly, start doing that role. Thirdly, watch out for others failing to do their role, and encourage them to do what God has created them to do.

No comments: