Monday 20 February 2012

Issue 5 - Day 1

1 Corinthians 15


1 Corinthians 15:57-58

  1. But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.
  2. Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord.

One of the keys of bible study is context, and this passage is no exception. The context is that we live life in sinful bodies, and will rise again to be with Christ in spiritual, sinless bodies. Death, therefore is not a tragedy, but a glorious moment when we can finally leave our sinful bodies behind, and worship God without hindrance for ever.

In this context, your labour for God is not in vain, for you are storing up riches in Heaven, investing in your future. As I once heard it said, pastors, and missionaries are not paid well, but they have the best retirement package the world has ever known! Paul encourages us therefore to be stedfast, unmoveable, and abounding in the work of the Lord. Whatever God has given you to do, give it 100%. Being stedfast in the work of the Lord means, having strong foundations, which can only be built by reading the bible and applying the word of God to our lives. Being unmoveable in the work of the Lord, means having the strength to continue in that work no matter what, which is power given by the Holy Spirit. To abound in the work of the Lord, means to not only do it, but to exceed all expectations, including your own.

Ask God this week, where I am unsure of where I stand, teach me that I may stand on a rock. Lord, where I am weak, make me strong. Lord, in what you have given me to do, help me do even more.

No comments: